15.6.08

~ Happy Father's Day, Dad! ~



Chess has always, and will always remind me of my dad. Not only is he an avid (and a ranked) chess player, but his personality is not unlike the game itself. It is a very intellectual game, about strategy and competition. Benjamin Franklin wrote a very interesting article called "The Morals of Chess" in which he praises the social and intellectual development that chess inspires.

"The Game of Chess is not merely an idle amusement; several very valuable qualities of the mind, useful in the course of human life, are to be acquired and strengthened by it, so as to become habits ready on all occasions, for life is a kind of Chess, in which we have often points to gain, and competitors or adversaries to contend with, and in which there is a vast variety of good and ill events that are, in some degree, the effect of prudence, or the want of it"
My dad has always tried to teach me good habits, morals, and values in life. Unfortunately, a lot of his efforts were destined to be in vain (me being the very rebellious one in the family) I guess I was always the type to learn by mistake, much to my fathers chagrin. Still through it all, he continues to be the responsible and supportive dad that is full of information as he always has been, and I love him for that! Happy Fathers Day, dad! (I bet your playing chess right now)

No comments:

Post a Comment