29.1.09

~ Over the Years ~

2003

2006

2009

Devon's "Pouch Pocket Pullover" sold in one day. I was actually logging onto Etsy to pull it from the store because I had fallen in love with the way it looked on her. It was sort of a bittersweet sale; while I was happy that it sold so quickly, I knew that I wouldn't be able to make another for her. I had purchased that sweater knit in San Francisco years ago. At the time I was wanting to do a "sporty/utilitarian look" using fabric with an organic feel. When I found this soft, navy blue rib and it's amazing coordinating meshy (and super chunky) sweater knit, I was in fabric heaven..for like a day. Then I put it on the shelf for 3 years until I finally used the meshy sweater knit (by itself) to make a dainty cardigan. I was inspired by this beautiful hand knitted trim and unique abalone button that I found at Britex .
We moved to LA in 2004, where I slowly began to lose my mind while designing juniors wear for every Southern California private label under the sun. I hadn't really fully grasped that I was so miserable until one day (by this time it was already 2006) I looked in the mirror and realised that I had gained weight..like 20 pounds. A couple days after that I lost my job. I switched to freelancing and started doing my own line again (with zero seed money) trying to scrape a living together by selling consignment to select boutiques. BTW, its incredibly easy to lose weight when you have no reliable income. I rediscovered my soft navy blue rib and this time I made a baby doll sweater with winged sleeves. I liked it so much that I decided to keep it for myself. But then my husbands boss loved it so much that I ended up giving it to her.

Fast forward 3 years later (do you see a pattern forming here?) I rediscover the fabric once again during our move to Dallas. Deciding to use it for my new children's wear line was by far my best idea yet. I finally go back to my original thought of using the rib and meshy sweater knit together to create a "sporty/utilitarian" look that Devon pulls off effortlessly. And that's the end of the story, the remnants are finally used up.... and it only took me 9 years..I guess better late than never :)

1 comment:

  1. hey girl! Love the sweater! I have been thinking of you and your precious business a lot lately! Looks like we will weather this CSPIA storm together! Thanks for your support of pinkcupcake!

    xo
    Melodie

    ReplyDelete